Friday, October 30, 2009

Recipe: Roasted Chicken, Mommie Chicken

Why would I include a recipe for roasted chicken,  called Mommie Chicken?

There are probably as many recipes for roasting chicken as there are chickens.  Every time I see my son he asks if I have blogged about "Mommie Chicken"  which is how my son refers to my roasted chicken recipe.  So to keep peace in the family here is my version of roasted chicken; also known as Mommie Chicken. 

The real difference is that I roast the chicken Asian style instead of American style.  Which means I roast it breast side down.  The breast does not get that beautiful brown skin but it stays incredibly moist.  And you are not suppose to be eating that skin any way; just ask your doctor!

I roast  my chicken with either potatoes or rice and other vegetables.  Rice being the preferred starch in my house but both are good. 

I like to make sure we have leftovers.  The advantage of using just vegetables is that you have the makings for a great soup.  Leftover rice makes great fried rice. 

1 5 lb Whole Chicken (I prefer Rosies Organic)
1 bulb of garlic (2 if you really like it) peeled
1 small yellow onion diced
3 carrots, sliced
4 stalks of celery sliced
1 C rice or 2 baking potatoes sliced
1/2 C low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
Any other sliced roasting vegetable that you like; zuchini, eggplant, mushrooms, leeks, shallots are all good additions. 

Preheat the oven to 425

Put all the vegetables and rice/potatoes in the bottom of a roasting pan.  Add the chicken broth. 
Clean the chicken and season with salt and pepper.  You may want to set aside some garlic and onion to stuff in the chicken for roasting.  Put the chicken breast DOWN.  I know it looks funny but it will taste so much better when it is cooked.  Rule of thumb is to cook 30 mins per pound on a chicken.  Sometimes you need to cook longer with all the vegetables.   I usually turn the oven down to 375 after 2 hrs of cooking time. Cook until the chicken juices run clear.  I usually take out the chicken and stir the vegetables a couple of times in the cooking process.

Carve up the chicken and serve.  Put the vegetables and rice/potato in a serving dish.

To make left over soup,  put the carcass, skin and left over meat in chicken broth (about 64 oz) with more onion and garlic.  Cook down for an hour and then chill. 

Skim off the fat and remove the bones and skin and add the left over vegetables  warm up and  then serve. 

Leftover fried rice.  Warm up the vegetables and rice add an egg and green onion and a touch of soy sauce.  Stir until the egg is cooked into the rice and serve.

I love anything  recipe that feeds my family a couple of great meals.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment