Friday, November 6, 2009

Recipe: Sticky Toffee Pudding

Sticky Toffee Pudding is the only thing I consistently bake every year.  I have made at least one sticky toffee pudding a year for over 25 years.  I find it is perfect for Thanksgiving or the Christmas Holiday season. It is my homage to my ancestors.  When I go to the UK I always try the sticky toffee pudding on the menu.  I have yet to find one that is as good as mine.

Warning:  You will gain weight just by being in the kitchen and smelling this pudding and the sauce.  This is not for diabetics or uncontrollable sugar junkies. 

Sticky Toffee Pudding

2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 C sugar
2 eggs

Combine in a large mixing bowl

1 C boiling water
10 oz chopped dates
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together the water, dates, baking soda and vanilla.  Gently fold into the flour mixture and then pour into a lightly buttered baking dish

Preheat oven to 375
cook pudding for 35 to 40 minutes
remove from the oven and put a thin layer of toffee sauce and return to the oven for 10 to 15 minutes more baking.  Check with a toothpick for a clean center 

Toffee Sauce

1 C heavy whipping cream
1 stick unsalted butter
1 C packed dark brown sugar

Cook in a sauce pan over medium heat and stir constantly.  Cook until a soft ball stage.

The really decadent tradional way to serve this pudding is to also have whipped cream on top.  For those of you who can consume 700 plus calories in one seating go for  it!

No comments:

Post a Comment