Friday, March 5, 2010

Recipe: Smoked Prosciutto and Buffalo Mozzarella Pizza

Smoked Prosciutto and Buffalo Mozzarella Pizza

I love pizza but can never order it in a restaurant because I am allergic to cow’s milk cheeses. So I have gotten creative in making pizza at home that I can make sure does not have anything that will not agree with. I find even those who have no issues with cow’s milk like my cheese choices. I usually add whatever vegetables sound good or I what I happen to have in the refrigerator. Buffalo Mozzarella is a very watery cheese so I sauté the vegetables before adding them to the pizza to decrease the liquid on the pizza. I also use a very thick tomato sauce for the same reason. The smoked prosciutto adds a really nice flavor so do try and find it. Any smoky ham thinly sliced would be a good substitute.

Enjoy!

1 pre-made pizza crust
(I love this pizza crust http://www.vicolopizza.com/nf_crust.htm)
½ C thick tomato sauce
4 oz Smoked Prosciutto, thinly sliced
4 0z Buffalo Mozzarella, thinly sliced
4 0z of chopped and sautéed vegetables- my favorite combination is zucchini, mushrooms, red peppers, and eggplant
1 oz Pecorino Romano cheese grated

Pre-heat the oven to about 400 to 425 degrees.
Layout the tomato sauce and the vegetables, then the smoked prosciutto, followed by the buffalo mozzarella. Finish with the grated Pecorino Romano

Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes until crisp. Serves two or three. Makes great leftovers. Often I make two as the crusts come in a package of two and the pizza reheats extremely well.

No comments:

Post a Comment