Friday, December 18, 2009

Recipe: My mom's salad dressing

I am so glad I went looking for the recipes from my past; I found some very interesting and nostalgic recipes in my old recipe box my mother gave me. It was like a trip down memory lane.  It contains all the things I used to bake and never do any more.  My mother's recipes; a connection to my past. 

My mom was a big baker but I prefer to cook.  My son has the baking gene but he uses very different ingredients than my mom's traditional recipes.   He does not use white flour or sugar at all, which seems to be the foundation of almost every recipe I have found in my old recipe box.  It is nice to know that someone in the family is baking corn bread or brownies but adapting recipes to fit the tastes of today.

I always liked this salad dressing.  I used to like watching my mom make it on a Sunday morning in the blender and putting it the fridge to chill before we had lunch later in the day.  When I was growing up I thought it was some exotic French recipe, though probably it is the invention of some bored housewife in Wyoming that my mother knew.  I hope you enjoy it!

My mom's salad dressing

1/3 C sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/3 C catsup
1/2 C White Vinegar
1/4 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1/4 C finely chopped onion
3/4 C Light Olive Oil

Mix it all together and chill.  A dressing like this drizzles nicely over an old school wedge of iceburg lettuce

No comments:

Post a Comment